The Chinese version of Cinderella with a new classical twist of music and movement.
In the context of All Arias Musictheatre Festival.
Winner of the OPERA PRIZE 2023 of FEDORA.
“This old story, a musical intermingling of East and West, becomes more than an eye-pleasing, intriguing and convincing performance. The piece is moreover deeply moving on a human level and allows a European audience to feel what it means to be part of a society that is not completely alien to you, but in which you never completely find your place. The work deservingly won the international Fedora Opera Prize this year.”
PZAZZ - Johan Thielemans - 23.03.2023
“All this is portrayed with an ingenious musical and theatrical dramaturgy … The instrumentation with Ho’s piano, Daniel Shao’s flute, Mantawoman’s yangqin and Joanne Chiang’s comprehensive percussion takes the spectator to a faraway world without it becoming orientalist … The scenography too makes subtle use of elements from Chinese Opera without it becoming chinoiserie … Hopefully this production will see its deservedly triumphal march around the world.””
Theaterkrant.nl - Neil van der Linden - 21.05.2023
- Concept • Julia Cheng / Alex Ho
- Composition | Musical direction • Alex Ho
- Choreography • Julia Cheng
- Direction • Julia Cheng
- Dramaturgy • Elayce Ismail
- Light design • Peter Quasters
- Set Design • Peter Quasters
- Sound Design • Bart Celis
- Costume design • Irina Shaposhinikova
- Costume assistant • Sabrina Seifried
- Creative consultant • Aïda Gabriëls
- Countertenor • Keith Pun
- Dancer • Jasmine Chiu
- Ensemble • Tangram ensemble : Mantawoman (yangqin), Daniel Shao (flute) & Joanne Chiang (percussion)
- Piano • Alex Ho
YE XIAN ADAPTATION: CHUA ORTIGA
ADDITIONAL TEXT: JULIA CHENG, JOANNE CHIANG, JASMINE CHIU, ALEX HO, ELAYCE ISMAIL, MANTAWOMAN, KEITH PUN, DANIEL SHAO